ABOUT THE GLBAL GOALS WORLD CUP
EIR has reimagined a way of ‘keeping the score’: The Global Goals World Cup (GGWCUP).
Since 2015 EIR has pioneered the world of sport by building the GGWCUP network fueled by women. The women support each other to break down barriers, lead local sustainable development and amplify their call to action.
The GGWCUP is a five-aside football tournament for all-women teams. Each team champions one of the Global Goals and is ranked by the action taken for their Goal on and off the field. EIR teamed up with UNDP to release the official #SDGball, used at every event.
The teams are scored in four distinct categories: Action, Crowd, Style and Football. Those awarded not only win a tournament. They amplify their calls to action and create impact, locally and globally.
A GGWCUP is a unique experience and program merging the game of football with global citizenship.
The ultimate goal
Promote a more healthy and active lifestyle for women by bringing the GGWCUP to all the 193 countries that adopted the United Nations 17 Global Goals by 2030.
Every woman is needed to achieve the 17 Global Goals. And every woman needs to have access to being physically active wherever she lives.
What are the 17 Global Goals?
The Global Goals are a blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all by 2030.
The GGWCUP shines a light on each of the 17 Global Goals adopted by 193 countries. Of note, the WHO Global Action Plan states that when we invest in sports and physical activity programs we contribute to achieving many of Global Goals:
- SDG 3 Good Health & Well-Being
- SDG 2 No Poverty - target 2.2 ending all forms of malnutrition
- SDG 4 Quality Education - target 4.1 and 4.2
- SDG 5 Gender Equality - target 5.1
- SDG 8 Decent Work & Economic Growth
- SDG 9 Industry, innovation & infrastructure - target 9.1
- SDG 10 Reduced Inequalities - target 10.2 and 10.3
- SDG 11 Sustainable Cities & Communities - target 11.2, 11.3, 11.6 and 11.7
- SDG Responsible Production & Consumption - target 12.8 and 12c
- SDG 13 Climate Action - target 13.1 and 13.2
- SDG 15 Life On Land - target 15.1 and 15.5
- SDG Peace, Justice & Strong Institutions - target 16.1 and 16b
- SDG 17 Partnerships for the Goals